Tuesday 25 March 2014

My favourite food

Saltfish and Dumplings

As long as I can remember my favourite Caribbean food has always been ‘Saltfish and boiled Dumplings’.  If I was having a bad day or not in much of a good mood this dish would surely make me feel a lot better, full, sometimes even bloated; that’s because I was being greedy.  Something we've all done before obviously.  Nonetheless, my dad Curwin is what I would call a Master Chef as he would cook it to absolute perfection every time.  I can’t say the same about my mum, her way of cooking it just wasn't as flavoursome or mouth-watering. 


Above is the Saltfish being cooked.
Below is the ground provision being boiled.


The end result of my tasty and satisfying dinner.  The dumpling is brown as I decided to use brown flour and cornmeal powder.

I came across a food quote “There is no love sincerer than the love of food” by George Bernard Shaw.  This quote drew me in as it reminded me of how I felt about my favourite foods; they make me feel better if I am not in the best of moods but even better when I am already happy.  I agree with the quote, do you?

What I haven’t yet told you all if that there are many ways to prepare saltfish and many different foods that can be eaten with it.  It can be eaten as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The most popular dishes when making saltfish are the following:
                Saltfish with cucumber and hard dough bread
                Saltfish with bakes (otherwise known as fried dumplings but bakes are flat)
                Saltfish and ground provision (also known as hard food) such as dasheen, dumplings, green bananas and plantain
                Fishcakes/fritters (the two names vary depending on the Caribbean islands) is made using saltfish

Saltfish is nonetheless a very popular fish in the Caribbean and can be cooked in many different ways.  That’s one thing I love about it, it’s very versatile.  


Lastly, Saltfish is quite often cooked with Ackee which is a fruit that was originally imported from West Africa to Jamaica and has ever since been popular in Jamaica and among the other islands.  Ackee and saltfish being Jamaica’s national dish recipe.

Quote from: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caribbean+treats&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=bnZ7PEqAlwTJzM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQIpceLFVcUFmAhOehEktQ0DHPHd9xNQ5LgWsZeK6xn-1zbpZY-5w%253B499%253B259%253BscKimhFStzm0MM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fcaribtastytreats.com%25252F&source=iu&usg=__4ZF4MWfoJ6TEy3YtBYjNRYMB2Hs%3D&sa=X&ei=m-kxU8T8NsXx0gXs4oAw&ved=0CF8Q9QEwBQ#imgdii=_

1 comment:

  1. Loved the quote, I couldn't agree more!
    I think it is very interesting that this dish can be eaten any time of day, where I am from we do not tend to eat fish for breakfast. As a fish lover I have to try Saltfish! I enjoyed reading this entry, definitely made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete